Thai Red Curry with Shrimp is a flavorful and aromatic dish that combines the richness of coconut milk, the heat of red curry paste, and the succulence of shrimp. This vibrant and spicy curry is perfect for those who enjoy Thai cuisine or anyone looking to explore new flavors. With a balance of savory, sweet, and spicy flavors, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|15 mins||20 mins||35 mins||4 servings|
- 1 pound (450g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (13.5 ounces or 400ml) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (150g) bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and bell peppers, and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet, and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the Thai red curry paste to the other side. Cook the curry paste for about 30 seconds to release its flavors.
- Stir the vegetables and curry paste together until well combined. Cook for another minute.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to the skillet, and cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and opaque.
- Pour in the coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and chicken or vegetable broth. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for 5-7 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Add the bamboo shoots to the skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Taste the curry and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add more fish sauce for saltiness or brown sugar for sweetness, according to your preference.
- Remove the skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve the Thai Red Curry with Shrimp over cooked rice for a complete and satisfying meal.
Thai Red Curry with Shrimp is best served hot and fresh. It pairs perfectly with steamed jasmine rice or noodles. You can also serve it with a side of fresh cucumber slices or a Thai salad for a refreshing contrast. This dish is great for casual weeknight dinners or special occasions when you want to impress your guests with a taste of Thai cuisine. Enjoy the explosion of flavors in every bite!